Change of Registered Agent

Considering changing your registered agent? It’s OK. You should consider your options. Your current registered agent should understand. If you are tired of serving as your own registered agent or need to switch professional providers, we’d be happy to help.

Order Now
Call to Order
Inc 5000
USA Today
change registered agent hero image

How it Works

Switching your registered agent is as easy as 1-2-3.

Simply notify us that you want to change your registered agent through your secure online account or on this page.

Feature Image

Why Change Registered Agents With Swyft Filings?

You can be your own registered agent if you reside in the state where you form your company, but it may not be the right move. Or, maybe you need to switch professional providers.

Get Started
Icon Styling (3)


The address of the registered agent is public record. It is also the address used to serve lawsuits and other legal papers. Don’t get served in front of friends and family.

Icon Styling (4)

Dependable Commercial Offers

Our registered agent offices are in commercial spaces and staffed during regular business hours meaning you don’t have to worry about missing important documents.

Icon Styling (5)

Compliance Check-ups

We keep you posted on when you need to make your filings with your state. Your registered agent teams with us to make it as easy as a one-click filing in many instances.

Icon Styling (6)

Friendly Customer Service

You can expect the same customer service that comes with your Swyft Filings account should you have any questions about your registered agent services.


We Take Care of Business, Your Business

• 300,000+ businesses created since 2015

• 36,000+ five-star reviews

• Personalized customer service specific to your needs

Swyft Filings helped us create our corporation and take care of time-consuming administrative tasks that can distract us from our mission. We are grateful for their commitment to assisting businesses like ours.
Bill Beverly
Bill BeverlyCo-Owner, Evolectric
The Swyft Filings team answered all of our questions so promptly and satisfied all the legal documents we needed to get up and running as quickly as possible. It was a huge stress-reliever, and we would recommend your services over and over again.
Kimberly and Caila Brigandi
Kimberly and Caila BrigandiCo-Owners, Gandi Girls Boutique
As small business owners, we often feel insignificant to those outside of our demographic. When a company like Swyft Filings steps up to help small businesses — it makes a huge difference!
Tobe Carberry
Tobe CarberryOwner, Haven4Hoops
Having a partner like Swyft makes that part of starting your business easy and provides a level of comfort in navigating the state and federal filings. So if there are any issues with your filings, Swyft is on top of it and working with you to navigate solutions.
James Adams
James AdamsCo-Owner, Pearland House Concerts

Change of Registered Agent Service FAQs

Still have questions? Call 877-777-0450 or Live Chat with us for real-time support.

How do I change registered agent providers?

It’s easy. Just let us know and we will take care of it. We will have to file paperwork with the Secretary of State in your state, but we will take care of all of it so you can get back to work.

Why do I even need a registered agent?

The bottom line is that you have to have one. When you form an entity like an LLC or a corporation in any state, you will be required to appoint a registered agent for service of process. This is the person that is authorized to accept service of process if there is a lawsuit or official notices from the state. It is sometimes referred to as a statutory agent, resident agent, or corporate service of process agent. Most states will not allow you to form an entity without making such a designation.

Who can be a registered agent?

First, the registered agent must have a physical address within the state for whom the registered agent is serving. In other words, if you have a Texas company, the registered agent must have a physical location to receive mail. If you are a Delaware company, but are foreign qualified to do business in Texas, then again, you will need to appoint a registered agent with a physical address in Texas. If you are foreign qualified in a number of states, you may need a registered agent in each one of those states – we can do that for you and make your paperwork simple. Assuming you have a physical address in your state of incorporation and where you are doing business, you can serve as the registered agent. There are many reasons, however, you may not want to be the registered agent. Read more below.

Why hire us?

Our registered agent offices are in commercial spaces and staffed during regular business hours. That means someone will be available to receive and process your documents upon arrival. You don’t have to worry that they are sitting in a mailbox or that a certified letter is delayed because no one actually occupies the office or home addresses other services may use. We keep you posted on when you need to make your filings with your state. In addition to notifying you of official notices from the state, our automated system also sends you a heads up, so you are not caught by surprise or any governmental delays. With our strategic partners, we provide immediate access to your scanned documents. This helps make sure no time is lost through mail delivery or snafus so you can respond if a crisis like a lawsuit hits you. We provide customer service the way you want it, via email or the phone. We live to make your business life easier any way we can.

Why not just do it myself?

Privacy: The address of the registered agent is public information and easily findable for people curious about your business. If you run a business out of your home, then you may not want to publish your home address to the world. Most states allow you to list the business address with a P.O. Box, but won’t let you do the same for a registered agent. You can list one of our many commercial addresses. The most common way lawsuits are served on businesses is through the registered agent. If you list yourself, an officer could show up at your office or home and serve you in front of your family or friends. By listing us, we get served and then discretely notify you of any lawsuits.

Who needs a registered agent?

New Entity Formation If you are doing business, you should set up a corporation, limited liability company (LLC) or another corporate entity rather than simply being what is referred to as a “sole proprietor.” Forming the corporate entity usually shields you from personal liability should something go wrong with your company. This protects your personal assets like your home or car and only puts at risk the assets of your company. Each corporate entity must have a registered agent pursuant to most states’ laws. Foreign Qualification “Foreign qualification” does not mean qualifying to do business outside of the United States of America. Foreign, in this context, refers to another state within the United States, other than the one where you formed your company. If you are already doing business in your home state, but want to do business in another state, or hire employees in another state, you may need to “foreign qualify.” Also, if you formed a company in the popular states of Delaware, Nevada or Wyoming, but are based in another state, you will likely have to foreign qualify in your state of operation. Foreign qualification is registering to do business in that state. When you do that, you will have to appoint a registered agent with a physical address within that state. Do I have to foreign qualify? To answer that question, you need to ask yourself a few questions:

  • Are your operations primarily in a state other than the one where you originally formed?

  • Do you have a physical presence in another state like leased space or owned property?

  • Do you have employees in another state?

  • Do you do business such as take orders or earn revenues from another state?

  • Do you have a bank account in another state?

If you answered any of these with a “yes,” you may need to foreign qualify. You can call our business professionals if you have questions or ask your accounting or legal professional. So what happens if you don’t foreign qualify and you should have? Yes, it does cost money to foreign qualify, but it can cost you much more if you try to get away with not doing it when you should have. Many state laws require it and will charge you a penalty on top of “making up” for the past due fees. You may also not be able to adequately pursue or defend a lawsuit in courts of the states where you are transacting business without registering and foreign qualifying. An alternative to foreign qualifying is to incorporate your business or form your LLC in the other state(s) in which you plan to do business. The primary difference is that when you incorporate or form your LLC in multiple states, your company becomes domestic in each of those states, thereby creating separate entities. By foreign qualifying, you don’t have to form a new corporate entity for each state in which you operate. This avoid the unnecessary costs and administrative headaches.

Change of Registered Agent Resources

Do you want to become your own registered agent or select a new provider? Learn more about the pros and cons of each choice, among other important topics related to registered agent services, in Swyft’s Resource Center.

View all Resources

Do what you love. We'll handle the paperwork.

Trusted by over 300,000 businesses since 2015. Start your business with confidence. Affordable. Fast. Simple.

Incorporate Now
Learn more
Dummy Accent Image